WAITING LIST IS CLOSED
View upcoming Training Institutes
A four-day course followed by a full day series of tests.
Training Institute Overview | Certificate Program FAQ
Register online above or download this form to pay by check.
In keeping with our mission to promote and enhance the quality of impartial workplace investigations, we invited you to join the intensive Training Institute for Workplace Investigators, the gold standard in our industry. The Institute consists of four days of training, including 10 hours of small group sessions with our experienced faculty, and a day of tests. Students who pass the test will receive a certificate indicating that they have mastered the materials and will be permitted to place the designation ‘AWI-CH’ after their name.
The Institutes generally sell out, so register early.
- HRCI – 18.5 Credits (Pending Approval)
- California MCLE– 18.5 Credits (Approved)
- SHRM – 18.5 PDCs (Pending Approval)
2020 Training Institutes Tuition*
Santa Barbara Early Registration, by November 11, 2019
A 15% deposit will hold your place. The balance of the registration fee will automatically be charged on November 11, 2019.
Santa Barbara Regular Registration
By January 6, 2020
Santa Barbara Late Registration
After January 6, 2020
*Tuition includes training and tests. Students who have attended a previous Institute may contact the AWI office for a 25% tuition discount code. AWI’s Cancellation and Refund Policy.
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort
633 E. Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103; $203 per night
Cut-Off Date: Sunday, February 2, 2020
- Understanding and Avoiding Bias in Investigations
- The Law Governing Why, What, and How We Investigate
- Identifying the Issues and Planning the Investigation
- Evidence Theory and Practice in Workplace Investigations
- Interviewing Witnesses in Workplace Investigations
- Making Credibility Determinations
- Achieving Excellence in Investigative Report Writing
- Full Day Small Group Mock Investigation
- Half Day Small Group Analysis and Report Writing Exercises
- Ethical Issues for Attorneys, Private Investigators and Internal Investigators
- Litigation and Other Events After the Investigation
- Question and Answer Session
Santa Barbara Institute Faculty
AWI Institute Faculty are recognized experts in their fields, have completed the Institute Training, passed all of the assessment tests and hold the designation of Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder (AWI-CH). Below is a list of the full-time and part-time faculty that will be present at the Santa Barbara Institute.
View the bios online for the full-time and part-time faculty that will be present at the Santa Barbara Institute. You may also download the Faculty Bios.
Santa Barbara Institute Chair: Eli Makus, Ellis & Makus LLP
Linda Burwell, National Investigation Counsel, PLLC
Jeremy Eaves, DaVita Inc.
Michael Robbins, EXTTI, Inc.
Susan Woolley, Law Office of Susan Woolley
Nancy Bornn, Nancy Bornn A Law Corporation
Brittny Bottorff, Law Office of Brittny Bottorff
Kathy Eppright, Andre, Morris & Buttery
Victoria Friedman, LACCD
Dawn Henson-Smith, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics
Katie Kusske, Medtronic
Steve Papineau, Air Canada
Tina Ro-Connolly, Law Offices of Amy Oppenheimer
Aisha Shelton Adams, Adam Law