This Institute has sold out — you may register on the waiting list or join AWI at a different Institute.
A four-day course followed by a full day series of tests.
Training Institute Overview | Certificate Program FAQ
This event has sold out!
In keeping with our mission to promote and enhance the quality of impartial workplace investigations, we invited you to join the intensive Training Institute for Workplace Investigators, the gold standard in our industry. The Institute consists of four days of training, including 10 hours of small group sessions with our experienced faculty, and a day of tests. Students who pass the test will receive a certificate indicating that they have mastered the materials and will be permitted to place the designation ‘AWI-CH’ after their name.
The Institutes generally sell out, so register early.
- HRCI – 18.5 Credits (Pending Approval)
- California MCLE– 18.5 Credits (Approved)
- SHRM – 18.5PDCs (Pending Approval)
2019 Training Institutes Tuition*
Santa Barbara Early Registration, by November 15, 2018
A 15% deposit will hold your place. The balance of the registration fee will automatically be charged on November 15, 2018.
Santa Barbara Regular Registration
By January 15, 2019
Santa Barbara Late Registration
After January 15, 2019
*Tuition includes training and tests. Students who have attended a previous Institute may contact the AWI office for a 25% tuition discount code. AWI’s Cancellation and Refund Policy.
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort
633 E. Cabrillo Boulevard
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
$201 per night; Click here for reservations or call (805) 564-4333
Cut-Off Date: February 3, 2019
- Understanding and Avoiding Bias in Investigations
- The Law Governing Why, What, and How We Investigate
- Identifying the Issues and Planning the Investigation
- Evidence Theory and Practice in Workplace Investigations
- Interviewing Witnesses in Workplace Investigations
- Making Credibility Determinations
- Achieving Excellence in Investigative Report Writing
- Full Day Small Group Mock Investigation
- Half Day Small Group Analysis and Report Writing Exercises
- Ethical Issues for Attorneys, Private Investigators and Internal Investigators
- Litigation and Other Events After the Investigation
- Question and Answer Session
Santa Barbara Institute Faculty
AWI Institute Faculty are recognized experts in their fields, have completed the Institute Training, passed all of the assessment tests and hold the designation of Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate Holder (AWI-CH).
View the bios online for the full-time and part-time faculty that will be present at the Santa Barbara Institute. You may also download the Faculty Bios.
Santa Barbara Training Institute Chair: Eli Makus, Ellis Buehler Makus LLP
Sue Ann Van Dermyden, Van Dermyden Maddux Law Corporation
Elizabeth Gramigna, Tribù Partners LLP
Susan Woolley, Law Office of Susan Woolley
Reuben Mjaanes, Medtronic
Donna Evans, EXTTI, Inc.
Nancy Bornn, Nancy Bornn A Law Corporation
Kathy Eppright, Andre, Morris & Buttery
Alezah Trigueros, Law Offices of Amy Oppenheimer
Lynn Lieber, Lieber Lawyers
Lori Wolner, Renlow Associates, LLC
Alex Sperry, Law Office of Alexander M. Sperry
Oliver McKinstry, Davita
Demetri Kachafanas, Cape Breton Regional Municipality